Tips for students to use
- THE GREAT 2023 IPAD TURNIN -
iPads, as usual, must be turned in before you may receive your grades. Details on dates,
- THE GREAT 2023 IPAD TURNIN: SENIORS TAKING AP EXAMS -
These instructions are only for SENIORS who ARE or have taken their AP exams.
- The GREAT 2023 IPAD TURNIN -
iPads, as usual, must be turned in before you may receive your grades. Details on dates, what
- The Great 2023 iPad Turnin: SENIORS -
These instructions are for SENIORS only.
iPads, as usual, must be turned in before you may
- Canva - Create away! -
Use Canva to create all sorts of Graphics, from presentations to flyers to.... well, the list is
- Shared iPads: Saving Notability files and emailing them -
On the Middle School Shared iPads, you cannot use the Mail app. So how do you email your
- iCloud and Google Drive -
We use Google Drive for most data storage on
- Powerschool & Schoology --> Apps and Phones -
We have recently received several emails and comments stating that getting into Schoology
- Tired of seeing Cupertino's weather on your iPad? -
Here's how to change the Weather Widget on your ipad from Cupertino to something a LITTLE closer
- iPad is Disabled - what to do -
What to do if your ipad is Disabled
Why this happens: You typed in your passcode too many
- Busted iPad? Here's what to do -
What to do if your iPad looks like this
First:Make sure your Notability notes are backed up to
- Technology and Middle school -
MDS Tech ran across a site with a lot of useful information about students and technology -
- Schoology: Logging in, Submitting Assignments, Drive and Schoology -
By the way, it is pronounced "cchool-ogy", not "schoo-ah-logy"
Select "Log into
- Play with Canva this summer! -
Go to Canva.com and login with your MDS email address. Get
- Get Ready for the Great 2022 iPad Turnin -
Early Turnin - Upper School:
Wed - Fri May 11 - 13, probably in DS1. This is ONLY for
- Canva - want to learn more? -
CLICK HERE to learn more about what you can do with Canva.
Have some fun with it!
- iPad: What's that "Other" thing taking up so much space? -
Much of this information is taken from
- Cool Stuff in Notability -
Drawing doughnuts? Record Audio? Scan Documents? Convert handwriting into text? [well, maybe not
- Ask Deven -
Get a question you'd like answered?
Scan the QR code and ask away.
- Web Search, part 2 - Take the Time to Get Good at it! -
In Part 1, we looked at how to THINK before you start searching. Remember that the goal is to find
- Web Search - Take the Time to Get Good at it! -
The goal of your web search should be to find the info you seek in one search. Yes, ONE. Is that
- Aleks --> what to do when it doesn't work on your iPad -
When Aleks refuses to work, here are some things to check.
Aleks provides a “check
- UPDATE YOUR IPAD -
As of January 27, 2022, Apple released an update to IOS 15 that plugs a major security hole.
- Vote for the WMDS logo -
Which Logo would you want to see every morning during WMDS? Take a look at these three, and click
- iPads and Printing -
If you are having trouble printing on your iPad - AND other students **can** print - here are
- Is your book checked out? -
When you are on campus, it's easy to see what books are available. You can search, or just browse
- Powerschool vs Powerschool Learning apps -
**THIS** is the app to use to access the MDS LMS
There are two powerschool apps on your ipad:
- iPad Turnin Mon May 10 - Fri May 14 -
The Bullet-point details:
When: Monday May 10 through Friday May 14, 7:30 am to 4:00 pm.Where:
- SENIORS:iPad Turnin Details -
BEFORE YOU TURN IT IN:
Components required: iPad, Apple certified iPad block, cable,
- Handy MDS Website Shortcuts -
- HOW TO: Get an assignment from PS LMS to Notability on your iPad -
... and then email it to your teacher.
Find and tap on the PS (PowerSchool
- How big is your data? -
It's tricky to visualize how much room a digital file takes up. Even though they are intangible,
- Dark iPad Apps? Here's what to do -
If you have one or several iPad apps that are "dark", still installing, and/or giving you a
- Meet, LMS, Mail, Drive without your iPad apps -
Even if your iPad apps are "dark" or missing - or your iPad is broken - you can still access the
- 2022 iPad Handout -
--> This is a link to the Setup Slideshow. <--
Get on the network
- iPads and Styluses -
One of the attractions of using the iPads is the ability to handwrite on the screen. This is
- Making sure you can connect: Google Meet -
With Google Meet there is an option to use a Shortcut. This stays the same from session to session
- AP Students: LockDown Browser -
Dr. Franklin will be coordinating the details on taking your AP exam. This article will discuss
- What to do if your iPad needs to be repaired -
These are the things MDS Tech does to prepare your iPad for replacement. During this eLearning
- iMovie: Do you know how? -
First, some advice:
LANDSCAPE ORIENTATION - over 90% of the time you should be shooting in
- iPad Tips and Tricks -
Gestures, Split View, and More make the iPad even more useful.
Most of this information covers
- Get Windows 10 for free, ****IF**** -
you are currently running a licensed copy of Windows 7 or 8.
1. Go to the Download Windows
- Get better at using your iPad [and save time] -
As one article says, 'It's important to learn the ways you can navigate in the OS with as little
- Aleks and iPads: The Fall 2019 edition -
IOS 13 and Aleks have made some changes. If you are unable to get your Aleks work done on your
- Organize your Drive Life -
Because it makes your life easier, your stuff easier to find, saves you time, saves you
- Notability: You won't believe what you can do -
Since it is our primary go-to app for getting stuff done on your iPad, it is REALLY worth your
- How to Check Your Grades -
Although there are a couple of ways to check your grades, here is the foolproof method.
- iPad: Easy Fixes to several problems -
When your iPad is wonky, the first things to do [before asking for help!] is:
1: Do the ipad
- Notability, iCloud, Docs gone, Google Drive -
Friday 2:00 pm update: Waiting on tech support to get back to me.Friday 2:30: Our issue has
- iPad: The "Standard Apps List" -
The list of iPad apps that all middle school students should have on their iPads:
- Notability: Backup to Drive, Retrieve from Drive -
Backing up Notability to Drive
Make SURE your Notability files are backing up to Google
- Notability: Organize your stuff! -
Notability is incredibly useful - but it can also become a pain if you don't keep your stuff [i.e.
- iPads, Styli, and such -
There are three basic types of styli available for use with iPads - but which ones can be used
- The Great 2019 iPad Turnin -
Seniors are up first
Here are all the details you need:
WHAT to turn in
iPad in its
- The Great 2019 iPad Turnin: Seniors -
Seniors are up first
Here are all the details you need:
WHAT to turn in
iPad in its
- The value of a hacked email account -
Many people use the same password at difference sites - including for their email. So if your
- Staying Safe online -
There is an online security researcher named Krebs that published 3 basic rules for online safety.
- Why would someone hack my old PC? -
There is potentially a lot of useful / sellable info on that old PC that you haven't used in a
- iPad Battery Checkout -
Recharge your iPad on the go
If you are tired of being stressed out because you forgot to
- Buying a computer for college - an opinion -
Some thoughts on choosing a laptop when you are heading off to college next year:
- MDS eSports - watch the first match - The plans are to livestream the MDS eSports League of Legends matches on Youtube. We will
- Notability and iCloud - The newest versions of Notability automatically stash your Notes in iCloud - which is nice UNTIL
- IOS 12 and missing iBooks - If you have upgraded your iPad to IOS 12, and now your iBooks are missing, try these fixes [taken
- Sadlier Connect problems - If you are one of the "lucky" students who have a Sadlier assignment not loading on your iPad,
- Read books on your iPad [for fun, not for class] - If you'd like to "check out" ebooks on your iPad, there are TWO ways:
The MackinVia app already on
- iPad cables and Chargers --> BEWARE OF EL CHEAPO - While it is possible to find "bargains" on eBay or at your local convenience store - DON'T use them
- iPad Cables and Chargers --> LEAVE THEM HOME! - We've seen a number of students walking around campus with their iPad cables and chargers.
- A note re: Senior Portraits - A note regarding Senior Portraits for the Class of 2019:
In an effort to reduce costs, The
- If you have not turned in your iPad yet - We are on a Summer Schedule - the hours are 9:00 am to 2:00 pm Monday through Thursday.
- The Great 2018 iPad Turnin -
Here are the dates when you will turn in your iPads.
READ THIS ENTIRE ENTRY FOR ALL THE
- SENIORS: Your MDS accounts & Data - What about your data after you graduate? Your email?
Some questions answered:
1) We will delete
- The Great 2018 iPad Turnin: Seniors - SENIORS
Here are the dates when you will turn in your iPads.
READ THIS ENTIRE ENTRY FOR ALL THE
- iPads: Turn Two-Factor Authentication OFF - Some students have turned what is called Two-Factor Authentication on inside their iCloud
- Don't FRY your iPad! - MDS tech has seen three iPads that have been electrically fried, resulting in a need for
- 3D printing and scanning - There is a 3D printer AND a 3D scanner in the ARC. All of the Macs are equipped with software to
- My iPad can't.....[problems] - Some basic things to check when your iPad is misbehaving - weird problems like email not
- Think you can Multitask? Think Again. - The Tech team has noticed students with 2 windows open on their desktops in the labs - one window
- Spectre, Meltdown, Vulnerabilities in the news -
You may have seen a lot of scary news stories about some vulnerabilities recently disclosed
- Black iPad Apps - what to do - If you have apps on your ipad that are "black" or "grayed out" or just "won't work", here are some
- Credit, Security Breaches, and Freezes - Protect Yourself! - While this is not normal subject matter for the MDS Tech site, this IS a part of the digital life
- iPad out of room - Here's how to tell how much storage you have used on your iPad, and how to tell what is using it
- IOS 11 is here...but wait! - IOS11 is here - but hang on a second before you update your school iPad.
Here are some things to
- MackinVIA - the MDS Digital LIbrary - Here's how to login to the MDS Digital Library using the app MackinVIA on your
- AppleID - Are you signed in? - If you are NOT signed in to your iCloud/AppleID account, then Find My iPad will NOT work. This
- iPad apps not installing? - Sometimes when app are installing while you are at school, then you go home, then come back to
- iPad App Portal - New to the ipads this year is the App Portal, a place where students can download a selection of
- My iPad is in the wrong time zone! - If your iPad clock is a few hours off [it thinks it's still in California...], here's how to bring
- iPad Setup details - What buttons to push to get your iPad setup:
1) Get on the Network
• Find the Settings app
- Keynote - TONS of new features - Keynote had a huge update posted after school got out for the summer. The article below has a full
- The Great iPad Turnin: Middle School - READ THIS ENTIRE ENTRY FOR ALL THE DETAILS:
The last two days of school [Monday-Tuesday May
- The Great 2017 iPad Turnin: Underclassmen -
Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors:
Here are the dates when you will turn in your iPads.
- The Great 2017 iPad Turnin: Info for Seniors -
Seniors, here are the dates when you will turn in your iPads. READ THIS ENTIRE ENTRY FOR ALL
- IOS 10 - make the home button friendly again - NOTE: this is only applicable to those who have Air2 iPads AND have setup your fingerprints to open
- The Great 2017 iPad Turnin is Coming! - Seniors:
Starting April 26th.
Starting May 17.
- The Great 2017 iPad Turnin: Fast Approaching - The Great
For upper school, the first possible day is the day your exam
- Dark Apps - Can't get my typing done - help! - Sometimes when MDS Tech pushes out app updates on the iPads it takes a while for everything to get
- Is your iPad data backed up? MAKE SURE before disaster strikes. - We've had several students lately who have lost data because they had not correctly setup their
- DON'T BUY FAKE iPAD CHARGERS! - Genuine Apple Charger on the left. Look closely at
- Find my iPad - PDF version - Click here to get a pdf with detailed instructions
on using Find My iPad: Lost iPad
- 5 helpful Smartphone/Tablet Battery Charging Tips - Some smartphone battery-charging myths die-hard.
One of them is that allowing your phone to
- "Black" ipad apps - "Doing the Dance" - If you have an app that STAYS black [which means the iPad has made room for it, but has NOT
- Before turning in your busted iPad - things to do - If the iPad Guy has asked you to swap out your iPad, here is a list of things you need to do on
- Move Pix/Vids from Drive to iPad - Sometimes you need to move a picture or video that you've stashed in Drive, so you can use in on
- Want Garageband or Numbers on your iPad? - Before you send that email to The iPad Guy telling him that you'd like to have either of these
- iCloud - how to setup your account - The MUST list:
you MUST use your MDS email address
you MUST use your Moodle password [or if
- Save Your Data! [what to do after your iPad gets wiped] - Here's what you need to MAKE SURE gets setup after your iPad gets wiped - or better yet, BEFORE
- My iPad isn't working - no email, no printing, no web surfing - Problem: If your iPad all of a sudden stops working oncampus, it is most likely because your
- Notability Not Working - If Notability seems to start up when you click the icon, and then it disappears:
Step One - Clear
- Parents and Powerschool login - As of this year the way Parents access Powerschool has changed. In the past, parents logged into
- iPads: Clear Cache and Cookies in Web Browser - Here's how to clear the Cache and Cookies on your iPad web browsers.
- 2016 iPad Apps for Middle School - Here's the list of iPad apps that should be on your iPads. It will probably change as we go through
- Get files FROM Drive TO Notability - Normally you set Notability to automatically backup your docs to Drive. Sometimes you need to
- Getting ready for the First Official iPad Hospital Day - Tuesday 8/23/16 we will be holding the
First Official Upper School
iPad Hospital Day.
- Missing iPad Apps - If you still haven't seen your apps appear, here are some things to check.
Is your iPad
- iPad - the time is wrong! - Here's how to fix it if the time on your iPad is off by several hours:
Settings --> General
- iPad Apps List - August 2016 - Here is the starting iPad apps list on student iPads. This WILL change as we progress during the
- Take your Google Stuff with you - When you leave these hallowed grounds.....you CAN take your Google Docs with you.
- The Great 2016 iPad Turnin is here! - Details about turning in your iPad, including dates.
NOTE: Your iPad MUST be powered on to turn it
- Are my iPad files being backed up? - Here's how to make sure your Notability files and Pix/Videos are backed up.
- SENIORS: FREE MONEY! EVERYONE ELSE: PRIZES! - Dave Ramsey’s ,000 Financial Literacy Challenge is still open - until Monday, April 25!
- The Official Father Frank TongueTwister is here! - Franciscan Friar Father Frank frantically fileting fingerfish and frying fundraiser french fries
- Textilus and TurnItIn: Here's How - Here is how to get a document you've created in Textilus on your iPad to the TurnItIn
- Mac: Ads keep showing up in a web browser window - We've had 3 instances of Adware getting into Mac Laptops this month. [Adware is software that runs
- WMDS team - help wanted - We need students to help with WMDS. Jobs to be done include-but-aren't-limited-to:
- IOS 9 Battery - get more day out of your iPad! - Here are some tips to make your iPad battery last longer - and make it easier to keep track of your
- IPAD UNAVAILABLE - so I don't have to do my homework, right? -
"My iPad isn't working"
"Mr. Rule has my iPad so I don't have to do my homework"
"I tried to
- No connection to Wi-Fi - Access Denied - This is what the signin screen looks
- Rain/Noise generator - If you need some background noise when studying, here's a good
- Java applet problems - If you are on a webpage that is running a Java applet and the thing isn't running [or just won't
- Find my iPad - how to use - If you have lost or misplaced your iPad, here's how to use "Find my iPad" to figure out where it
- iPad: FindmyiPad, Privacy settings - There are several privacy settings that MUST be set on your school iPad - and several that are your
- Kindle App - how to use -
Here is some info from the web
on using the Kindle app.
- iPad not working? Can't get on the Web? - If your iPad
can't get on the web
can't access your eText
can't fetch email
- Aleks - iPads - won't load - If ALEKS won't load on your iPad [but it does on other's iPads], then you should clear out your web
- iPad Setup - 6th grade - Fall 2015 - Gestures
- iPad Setup - Fall 2015 - These instructions may not cover all possible things you'll see on your iPad. Check with a teacher
- How do I keep my Stuff when I'm leaving? - If you are a Senior who needs to keep access to your documents, or you are leaving for other
- iPad Turnin - quick notes - WHEN?
Check THE PREVIOUS POST. It has all the details.
Turn in your iPad to the
- Logan Brill - special offer on her new album - Music at the Mount - Logan Brill will be doing a special MDS only live concert this Friday during Flex BEFORE her
- The Great 2015 iPad Turnin - Before reading the below, go bone up on some
Quantum Physics* and Schenkerian
- Setting up the Meraki MDM app - Here are some vague directions for getting the Meraki MDM app setup. This is best done at school,
- Setting up your AppleID and Find my iPad - If you never setup Find my iPad or iCloud or your AppleID, here's a vague outline on how to
- Lunch Account - online - Click the logo to go to the
- Improve your Battery Life - This applies to iPads as well as iPhones. Taken from THIS ARTICLE over at ZDnet, here are a whole
- My iPad is busted. What do I do? - What to do if your iPad looks like
- Google Drive and Moodle - submitting an assignment errors - We've seen two issues popup when students are attempting to submit a file from Google Drive into
- AP Languages exam - using an MDS Mac laptop - What you'll be doing is recording your voice using a Mac Laptop and the software Audacity. Below
- Ban the Bottle Video Contest - Help out your fellow MDS students by watching, liking, and sharing their Tap Out Challenge
- VRP 7 iPad app - record/edit/export audio -
SFX = "Sound Effects"
LISTEN - REAL closely. Close your eyes to see if that's a sound you
- Can I print from my iPad? - Click for the bigger version
Anywhere on campus, you can call up the print menu [look for the
- Updating your iPad OS - Notes and Tips about updating your iPad:
You'll see an indication that there is a System Update in
- Sending a Keynote file to your teacher - "Why" explained below. First, "How":
You've created a Keynote presentation, and need to get it to
- iPad keyboards - Here are two reviews of ipad keyboards that have received a favorable writeup. Unfortunately they
- Submit Assignments into Moodle AWAY FROM YOUR iPAD! - Let's assume for a moment that you have tried to submit a Google Drive file into a Moodle
- Notability issue - Out of Storage - Think of your ipad as a filing cabinet with a limited amount of storage. If you fill up your filing
- Virtual Light Lab - make a movie - [4/14/15 update: added section about getting your video into iMovie on your iPad, at the
- iBook not downloading? - If your purchased iBook is not downloading, here are a couple of things to doublecheck:
- Moodle <--> Drive errors [Cannot submit an assignment] - If you are getting arcane technical errors when trying to submit an assignment
- Adding sound to iPad iMovie - Let's say you are working on an iMovie and want to add some music or audio that is NOT builtin.
- Saving time in IOS8 Mail - Techrepublic.com published an article on using Mail and iMessage in IOS8 that you might find
- After your iPad was wiped out.... - [January 2017 update]
Sometimes your iPad has to be wiped clean of all your data....here is a
- Moving Pictures around - If you have pictures/videos and need to move them around, here are a couple of processes.
- "There's not enough room to update to 8" -
Check other apps that might be taking up room.
Music - delete it all.
Photo Stream - turn it
- iMovie - tips for creating - Quick notes for how to create an excellent iMovie:
CONTENT IS THE WHOLE POINT
All the special
- IOS 8 - YES you can update! - After some [NON-thorough] testing, it looks like OS 8 will work OK on our setups here at
- Kindle App - setup - Students - you will be receiving [if you haven't already received it!] an email with your kindle
- iPad: Make your battery's charge last longer - Want to make your battery last longer in your iPad [or iphone, for that matter]?
Turn off as
- iPad Setup: August 2014 edition - Here are the concise instructions for getting the first part of your iPad setup.
- The Great iPad TurnIn Event: 2014 edition [Middle School] - We'll be taking your iPads up on MONDAY, MAY19 during the school day.
This is a LONG message -
- iPad Keyboards and Styluses - As we approach One-to-One status, several have asked the iPad guy about picking up keyboards and
- iPad Questions part 3: Apps, Control Center, Notification Center, Spotlight - Another video describing basic iPad stuff, such as
Switching between apps
Seeing all the apps
- iPad Questions part 2: Get your Apps Organized - How to move your apps around and get them organized. How to put them in folders on screen, plus a
- iPad questions, Part 1 - Answering many questions people have about basics on their iPad. This video [click here for the
- Photon Web Browser - Tips - Photon is an iPad web browser that allows you to access website that use Flash. The biggest thing
- Photon EDU Setup - Photon EDU is a flash-enabled web browser we'll be using - but before you can use it, there is some
- iPad notes - 12/18/13 - The announcement video that didn't quite playback well. Has a couple of tips and notes on taking
- ePub texts - how to read - You might run across an ePub book. How do you read it?
[NOTE: We haven't had a chance to test
- iPads - printing at home - YES, you can print from your ipad at home, but you must have a wireless network active at the
- iPad Backups- how and why - Scroll all the way down to fetch a PDF version of this info.
CLICK HERE for an update about
- Oh, no! My iPad is in Recovery mode! - Your iPad is in "Recovery Mode" when the screen looks like this:
Things NOT to do:
- 20 more Google Docs tips - The ORIGINAL ARTICLE - below are the "headlines".
Search Google Docs and Gmail
- Google Docs - 8 more tips - The article with the details can be found HERE.
Here's the summary:
Show all keyboard
- Google Docs - 100 TIps for Teachers and Students - This is from a Google Doc [naturally]. The links in each tip takes you to a web page with more
- iMovie 11 How-to - Click here for the PDF version
Collect all your parts in one place – on the desktop,
- iPad Camera Roll to your Teacher [Dept iPad Set] - Say you have a Department iPad set, the students have produced some media [pictures or videos] and
- iPad movies and pictures to Google Drive - A quick note on how to get movies and pictures from your iPad to your Google Drive.
1. Fire up
- MS iPad Setup - 201 - The 11-minute youtube video is at
1. From the "Hello"
- iPad setup - Middle School - CLICK HERE for the video version [You can ignore a lot of the stuff before the "Use you iPad"
- How to get the school contact list on your iPad - When sending an email, it's handy to have an email address popup as you're typing. That's normally
- Easy Photo Presenting - Photography Class - Photography Class - Easy Presentations
No editing or