We’ve had 3 instances of Adware getting into Mac Laptops this month. [Adware is software that runs in teh background that pops up an overwhleming number of ads on each browser page you open.]
Here is a quick list of how to remove it:
- Surf over to https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/ and download the free malware remover from MalWareBytes. Install it.
- Call up “About This Mac” from the Apple Menu. Note what Operating system you are using [10.8 or 10.10.11, etc.]
- Then surf over to http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html
- Download the version of Onyx that is for YOUR system.
- CONTROL-CLICK the program icon, and select “open”
A dialog box will pop up – select Open, then install it.
- Start up Onyx. It will run a disk check.
- Then run the Maintenance scripts, and then the tasks in the “Cleaning” tab.
- Onyx will ask you to restart.
- THEN run MalwareBytes. It should find the adware, and you click to remove it.
This is NOT a comprehensive list, but should be enough to get you started!