Quick access to iPad info of interest to teachers.
- iPads and Printing -
If you are having trouble printing on your iPad - AND other students **can** print - here are some things to check:
- iMovie: Do you know how? -
First, some advice:
LANDSCAPE ORIENTATION - over 90% of the time you should be shooting in Landscape orientation [a.k.a. SIDEWAYS]. The ONLY
- iPad Tips and Tricks -
Gestures, Split View, and More make the iPad even more useful.
Most of this information covers IOS 13 - so if you have not updated, GET IT DONE
- Get better at using your iPad [and save time] -
As one article says, 'It's important to learn the ways you can navigate in the OS with as little friction as possible".... in other words, get your
- Why your iPad offloads apps -
You can save some space on your iPad by "offloading" apps. What this means is that the actual program is deleted, but NOT your data. What's left is
- Aleks and iPads: The Fall 2019 edition -
IOS 13 and Aleks have made some changes. If you are unable to get your Aleks work done on your iPad, try switching the version that your iPad is
- Notability: You won't believe what you can do -
Since it is our primary go-to app for getting stuff done on your iPad, it is REALLY worth your time to learn it well.
First, some pointers from
- iPad: Easy Fixes to several problems -
When your iPad is wonky, the first things to do [before asking for help!] is:
1: Do the ipad reboot dance.
- Notability: Backup to Drive, Retrieve from Drive -
Backing up Notability to Drive
Make SURE your Notability files are backing up to Google Drive
First, Open Notability.
2. On the screen
- IOS 12 and missing iBooks - If you have upgraded your iPad to IOS 12, and now your iBooks are missing, try these fixes [taken from a variety of locations across the web}:
- Read books on your iPad [for fun, not for class] - If you'd like to "check out" ebooks on your iPad, there are TWO ways:
The MackinVia app already on your iPad. CLICK HERE for instructions on setting
- iPad cables and Chargers --> BEWARE OF EL CHEAPO - While it is possible to find "bargains" on eBay or at your local convenience store - DON'T use them with your iPad [or any other Apple product, for
- iPad Handout Instructions - Click to access the Google Slide
- Don't FRY your iPad! - MDS tech has seen three iPads that have been electrically fried, resulting in a need for replacement [and a bill sent out].
According to tech
- My iPad can't.....[problems] - Some basic things to check when your iPad is misbehaving - weird problems like email not downloading, or not being able to download Moodle docs into
- Airserver - setup and using - To start Airserver on your Windows PC, click on the Caret icon on the bottom right area of your toolbar.
Then click on the Airserver icon:
- AppleID - Are you signed in? - If you are NOT signed in to your iCloud/AppleID account, then Find My iPad will NOT work. This might not seem like a big deal now, but will be when
- iPad App Portal - New to the ipads this year is the App Portal, a place where students can download a selection of apps to their iPad.
No - not just any apps in the
- My iPad is in the wrong time zone! - If your iPad clock is a few hours off [it thinks it's still in California...], here's how to bring it to Eastern time:
- iTunes U - https://www.apple.com/education/itunes-u/
For faculty, this might be an interesting addition to your
- IOS 10 - make the home button friendly again - NOTE: this is only applicable to those who have Air2 iPads AND have setup your fingerprints to open up your iPad.
If you miss just resting your
- Dark Apps - Can't get my typing done - help! - Sometimes when MDS Tech pushes out app updates on the iPads it takes a while for everything to get updated.
The first things you need to do:
- Find my iPad - PDF version - Click here to get a pdf with detailed instructions
on using Find My iPad: Lost iPad
- Before turning in your busted iPad - things to do - If the iPad Guy has asked you to swap out your iPad, here is a list of things you need to do on your OLD iPad before turning it in.
If you can't -
- Move Pix/Vids from Drive to iPad - Sometimes you need to move a picture or video that you've stashed in Drive, so you can use in on your iPad [in iMovie, for example].
- iCloud - how to setup your account - The MUST list:
you MUST use your MDS email address
you MUST use your Moodle password [or if your moodle password is missing a number, add
- My iPad isn't working - no email, no printing, no web surfing - Problem: If your iPad all of a sudden stops working oncampus, it is most likely because your subscription to the network has expired.
It MUST be
- iPads: Clear Cache and Cookies in Web Browser - Here's how to clear the Cache and Cookies on your iPad web browsers.
Settings –> Safari
Click the “Clear Cookies and Data”
- Get files FROM Drive TO Notability - Normally you set Notability to automatically backup your docs to Drive. Sometimes you need to reverse that process - pull some material from Drive
- iPad - the time is wrong! - Here's how to fix it if the time on your iPad is off by several hours:
Settings --> General --> Date and Time
If "Set Automatically" is
- Are my iPad files being backed up? - Here's how to make sure your Notability files and Pix/Videos are backed up.
Open Google Drive. Look for for the folder
- Keynote: How to present student keynotes in classroom - Some ideas and possibilities for showing student created Keynote in class:
Use dongle to connect iPad to projector.
- IOS 9 Battery - get more day out of your iPad! - Here are some tips to make your iPad battery last longer - and make it easier to keep track of your battery.
THE BEST TIP IS
PLUG THE THING IN AT
- No connection to Wi-Fi - Access Denied -
If your subscription to the
- Find my iPad - how to use - If you have lost or misplaced your iPad, here's how to use "Find my iPad" to figure out where it is.
This only works if
you have correctly
- iPad not working? Can't get on the Web? - If your iPad
can't get on the web
can't access your eText
can't fetch email
....or do anything else that required network access to the
- Aleks - iPads - won't load - If ALEKS won't load on your iPad [but it does on other's iPads], then you should clear out your web cache. Click any graphic below to see a larger
- 2015 iPad App Lists - Scroll down for the Middle school lists. First the Apps that are being used somewhere for some grade or class, then others that are already "in
- Improve your Battery Life - This applies to iPads as well as iPhones. Taken from THIS ARTICLE over at ZDnet, here are a whole slew of ways to stretch your iPad battery. At the
- Can I print from my iPad? - Click for the bigger version
Anywhere on campus, you can call up the print menu [look for the "export" icon - a rectangle with an arrow coming OUT
- iPad keyboards - Here are two reviews of ipad keyboards that have received a favorable writeup. Unfortunately they are on the expensive side - unless you can find one
- Notability issue - Out of Storage - Think of your ipad as a filing cabinet with a limited amount of storage. If you fill up your filing cabinet, then nothing more can be stashed there
- iBook not downloading? - If your purchased iBook is not downloading, here are a couple of things to doublecheck:
Make sure you are indeed on the network. Try going to an
- Moodle <--> Drive errors [Cannot submit an assignment] - If you are getting arcane technical errors when trying to submit an assignment
using your iPad
from Google Drive
- Adding sound to iPad iMovie - Let's say you are working on an iMovie and want to add some music or audio that is NOT builtin. Here are some options:
Setup your personal iTunes
- Saving time in IOS8 Mail - Techrepublic.com published an article on using Mail and iMessage in IOS8 that you might find useful.
CLICK HERE to read it
THe tips covered
- "There's not enough room to update to 8" -
Check other apps that might be taking up room.
Music - delete it all.
Photo Stream - turn it off. That takes up room.
Google apps - Docs,
- IOS 8 - YES you can update! - After some [NON-thorough] testing, it looks like OS 8 will work OK on our setups here at MDS.
Here are the "gotchas":
You MUST have 5.9 gigs
- Importing ExamView questions into Moodle - CLICK HERE
if you'd like the PDF file that is
complete with pretty screenshots.
Download Moodle XML Builder
It is free
- 8th Grade iPad App List: 2014 -
- 7th Grade iPad App List: 2014 -
- 6th Grade iPad App List: 2015 -
- 12 grade iPad App List  -
- 11th grade iPad app list  -
- 10th grade iPad App List  -
- 9th grade iPad App list  -
- iPad: Make your battery's charge last longer - Want to make your battery last longer in your iPad [or iphone, for that matter]?
Turn off as many Notifications as you can
- TENTATIVE Middle School App list - Here's the TENTATIVE app list for the middle school ipads. This post will be deleted once everything is settled.
Below you have 4 tables. First
- iPad Keyboards and Styluses - As we approach One-to-One status, several have asked the iPad guy about picking up keyboards and styluses for use with their iPads next
- Notability Training - All of them - Here are the links to the 5 Notability posts. Each has a synopsis of what the video covers, link to the youtube video, and the youtube video embedded
- Notability, part 5 - Click for Video
Recording Audio into a note.
AFTER this was recorded they updated
- Notability, part 3 - Click for Video
Adding Material to Notes
1. Click on title to change it
2. TWO FINGER
- Notability, part 2 - Click for video
When in the Library:
Click and Hold on a note, in the middle of the line
- Notability, part 1 - Click for Video
Google Drive, email setup on your
- Notability, part 4 - Click for Video
Reviewing the Plus [Media] tool, and importing/exporting
The Media tool
- ePub texts - how to read - You might run across an ePub book. How do you read it?
[NOTE: We haven't had a chance to test out these on our machines, so your mileage may vary.
- iPads - printing at home - YES, you can print from your ipad at home, but you must have a wireless network active at the house, and your ipad must be connected to it.
- iPad Backups- how and why - Scroll all the way down to fetch a PDF version of this info.
CLICK HERE for an update about Notability.
At the risk of stating the obvious, you
- iPad Camera Roll to your Teacher [Dept iPad Set] - Say you have a Department iPad set, the students have produced some media [pictures or videos] and you need to fetch a copy. Here's how:
- iPad movies and pictures to Google Drive - A quick note on how to get movies and pictures from your iPad to your Google Drive.
1. Fire up Google Drive
2. Click the UPLOAD icon [a plus
- Powerschool issues on the iPads - Obviously, if you don't USE powerschool on the iPad, you can safely ignore this entry!
updated 11/8/13 - see below
If you are using the
- PowerTeacher App settings - Fire up the App PowerTeacher
Under Global Settings:
Server Address: sis.mountdesales.net
Port number: 443
SSl Enabled: ON
You do NOT
- How to get the school contact list on your iPad - When sending an email, it's handy to have an email address popup as you're typing. That's normally what happens when you have someone in your
- Easy Photo Presenting - Photography Class - Photography Class - Easy Presentations
No editing or control over order
Photoshop - export to
- Science iPads App List - A list of apps on the two Science Dept. iPad sets. #1 is in McMahon's room, #2 in Freeman's. The descriptions are deliberately concise - click the
- 8th Grade set - apps list - Here is a list of the apps that are on the 8th grade set, along with a short description and a link to the full description of what the app does.