Computers and laptops really do need regular maintenance to keep running. NONE of this is difficult, but will avoid a LOT of headaches.
- Check for Updates
- Shut down the device [don’t just restart]. Wait a few minutes. THEN turn them back on.
- It REALLY DOES solve a variety of mysterious issues.
- Clean up – use a cloth to remove dust and fingerprints and all the other ickiness from your device.
- Most microfiber cloths will do just fine. You do NOT have to go buy something “computer specific”.
- Clean the webcam as well.
- Refresh your internet connection – unplug your cable modem, router, switches – any gizmo relating to your internet connection. Wait a couple of minutes, then turn them back on.
- It will take several minutes for all the device to reconnect and get settled in. Go have a glass of sweet tea while you wait, and take a deep breath.
- Check your accounts. Go to Have I Been Pwned to see if any of your accounts have been in a data breach. Apple’s Safari Browser as well as Google Chrome might also prompt you about accounts that have been compromised.
- Check your backups – you DO have a back up of important data?
- If you don’t, you’d best get on that right now. Machines DO fail – it is only a matter of time.
- Review your setup. Retire anything you don’t use.
- That is a great idea from a security perspective, could save money on your power bill, and will certainly help declutter your space.
- Document your setup – write it down! How are things connected, what gizmos do you have in the house, serial numbers, etc.