Notes and Tips about updating your iPad:
You’ll see an indication that there is a System Update in the Settings App.
Go to Settings –> General–>Software Update.
If you are able to update, then do so – but PLUG IT IN FIRST. It will take anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours.
If you see a message about not having enough room, then you’ll have to clear out some data:
- Open the Photos App. Delete anything you don’t want. Be ruthless! THEN, click ALBUMS, open up the “Recently Deleted” album, Click SELECT [on the top right], then DELETE ALL [top left]
- Open up the Drive App. Click the menu icon – top left. Click “On Device“. For each file listed, click the Info button, find the slider “Keep on Device”, and turn it OFF.
- iMovie – delete projects.
- Garageband – delete songs.
- Toontastic – delete projects there.
- Swipe out of all active apps, and reboot the iPad. [Hold down the power button until the “Slide to Turn Off” gizmo pops up onscreen.]
- Delete email accounts in Settings –> Mail. [a bit drastic, this one. You shouldn’t lose any emails or attachments.]
After each step, switch back to the settings app to see if there is enough room. If you are still at a loss, see Mr. Rule or Mrs. Brown in the ARC for additional suggestions.
Once you’ve made room, then update.
You will see several screens – but not all of the ones listed below. What screens you see will change depending on which OS you started with, and which OS you ended with.
The announcement video that didn’t quite playback well. Has a couple of tips and notes on taking care of your iPad.
CLICK HERE to watch on youtube if you don’t see it below.