How to Create a Powerschool Parent Account
If you have a returning student and/or previously have created a parent account, you do NOT have to follow this procedure.
Parent accounts in Powerschool are SEPARATE from student accounts. This way Parents can login ONCE and access all of their children’s information and grades. This is the “done once” setup procedure.
The Powerschool password given on your Info Packet sheet is ONLY used once – to setup the account initially. You will select your own password during the setup process.
• Open the webpage sis.mountdesales.net. [SIS = “student information system”]
• Click on the tab “Create Account”.
• The first section on the page,“Create Parent Account,” is the information necessary to setup your account. All fields in this section are required, and include the following:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Email (must be unique)
- Desired User Name (must be unique) – this is what you will use to login
- Re-enter Password
The second section on the page, “Link Students to Account,” requires that the information for at least one student be provided, and includes the following:
- Student Name
- Access ID
- Access Password
The Access ID and Password for each student was also on the info sheet.
You may enter the information for up to seven students when initially establishing your account. Please feel free to contact the School if you have any questions.
What about your data after you graduate? Your email?
Some questions answered:
1) We will delete your email accounts mid-summer — usually in July.
2) There are instruction on the tech site for taking your data with you –> https://tech.mountdesales.net/?p=722
Note that your MDS Drive space has unlimited Drive storage…..but personal Drive accounts only have 15 gig, unless you pay for more.
Yes, you COULD create multiple personal drive accounts and stash part of your data under different accounts, but do you REALLY want to complicate your life that much?
3) Any external sites like Prezi will still work with your MDS email as a login – but you won’t be able to receive emails from the service [and that includes the “I forgot my password” and “Click this link to prove you are legit” emails].
As of this year the way Parents access Powerschool has changed. In the past, parents logged into their student’s accounts. As of 2016-17, parents must create their OWN powerschool account, and then “tie together” their student’s accounts.
For those families with multiple students at MDS, this means ONE login to check grades instead of multiple logins.
We send out information to each family with the Parent Portal Access ID and password. These are ONLY used to create the account, NOT to login with.
- Go to the parent portal
- Click on “create account”
- Create an account with your email address
- Specify a username and password
- Below that you will be prompted for the Access ID and password. [This is what ties your parent account to your child’s/children’s info].
- After the account is created, login with the username and password you created.
- Go to “Email Notifications” and customize what you would like to receive and how often.
We do block online access during the school day. You ARE able to setup the account at any time, but can only login to the portal after 2:45 pm on school days.