What about your data after you graduate? Your email?
Some questions answered:
1) We will delete your email accounts mid-summer — usually in July.
2) There are instruction on the tech site for taking your data with you –> https://tech.mountdesales.net/?p=722
Note that your MDS Drive space has unlimited Drive storage…..but personal Drive accounts only have 15 gig, unless you pay for more.
Yes, you COULD create multiple personal drive accounts and stash part of your data under different accounts, but do you REALLY want to complicate your life that much?
3) Any external sites like Prezi will still work with your MDS email as a login – but you won’t be able to receive emails from the service [and that includes the “I forgot my password” and “Click this link to prove you are legit” emails].
Here’s what you need to MAKE SURE gets setup after your iPad gets wiped – or better yet, BEFORE something happens to your iPad.
The Short List
- iCloud signed in to your MDS email address
- iCloud Backup ON
- Google Drive – signed in, Pix auto-backup
- Notability – backing up to Google Drive
- Setup Email
The Detailed List
This will make it faster to setup your iPad in case of a disaster.
- Settings –> iCloud
- Make sure you are signed in. You should see YOUR MDS EMAIL at the top. If you have used a different email address, CHANGE IT NOW. If you want to know why, ask Mr. Rule.
- Turn iCloud Backup ON – and start a backup.
Automatically backup your pictures and videos after you take them.
- Sign in to Google Drive
- Look for the 3 stacked lines, top left. [It’s called a “hamburger menu”].
- Click it.
- Select Settings…..
- Select Photos
- Turn ON both sliders at the top [Use Google Photos folder, Autobackup].
- Sometimes the “Google Photos” option is grayed out. I don’t know why. Let me know if you figure it out.
Automatically back up everything in Notability to a folder on Google Drive.
- Fire up Notability
- Bottom Left corner – click the gear icon [settings]
- Google Drive
- Give it permission
- Settings –>Email
- Add new account
- It’s a GOOGLE account
- Fill in the fields – should be easy to figure out.
- When you get to the screen with 4 sliders – turn all 4 of them green, then hit SAVE
If you are a Senior who needs to keep access to your documents, or you are leaving for other reasons, here are a few notes on how to transfer your data/emails/ etc.
Emails: Forward your emails to your personal account…. or see the link below.
- email the drive documents to your personal account.
- download the files onto a flash drive, or onto your computer at home. If you select multiple document, Drive will zip them all together first. Just don’t do too many of them!
- In extreme cases the Tech Dept. may be able to do something called Google Takeout, which will download all of your Drive docs onto a flash drive. Contact us to see if that’s possible.
You can also check out this article:
It has some detailed instructions. We ARE a “Google Apps” school, so the limitations mentioned in the article apply.
Try this search – there are several other articles listing ways to move your data with you:
…and you will see several possibilities.