Tips for students to use
- Credit, Security Breaches, and Freezes - Protect Yourself! - While this is not normal subject matter for the MDS Tech site, this IS a part of the digital life
- iPad out of room - Here's how to tell how much storage you have used on your iPad, and how to tell what is using it
- IOS 11 is here...but wait! - IOS11 is here - but hang on a second before you update your school iPad.
Here are some things to
- MackinVIA - the MDS Digital LIbrary - Here's how to login to the MDS Digital Library using the app MackinVIA on your
- AppleID - Are you signed in? - If you are NOT signed in to your iCloud/AppleID account, then Find My iPad will NOT work. This
- iPad apps not installing? - Sometimes when app are installing while you are at school, then you go home, then come back to
- iPad App Portal - New to the ipads this year is the App Portal, a place where students can download a selection of
- My iPad is in the wrong time zone! - If your iPad clock is a few hours off [it thinks it's still in California...], here's how to bring
- iPad Setup details - What buttons to push to get your iPad setup:
1) Get on the Network
• Find the Settings app
- Keynote - TONS of new features - Keynote had a huge update posted after school got out for the summer. The article below has a full
- The Great iPad Turnin: Middle School - READ THIS ENTIRE ENTRY FOR ALL THE DETAILS:
The last two days of school [Monday-Tuesday May
- The Great 2017 iPad Turnin: Underclassmen -
Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors:
Here are the dates when you will turn in your iPads.
- The Great 2017 iPad Turnin: Info for Seniors -
Seniors, here are the dates when you will turn in your iPads. READ THIS ENTIRE ENTRY FOR ALL
- IOS 10 - make the home button friendly again - NOTE: this is only applicable to those who have Air2 iPads AND have setup your fingerprints to open
- The Great 2017 iPad Turnin is Coming! - Seniors:
Starting April 26th.
Starting May 17.
- The Great 2017 iPad Turnin: Fast Approaching - The Great
For upper school, the first possible day is the day your exam
- Dark Apps - Can't get my typing done - help! - Sometimes when MDS Tech pushes out app updates on the iPads it takes a while for everything to get
- Is your iPad data backed up? MAKE SURE before disaster strikes. - We've had several students lately who have lost data because they had not correctly setup their
- DON'T BUY FAKE iPAD CHARGERS! - Genuine Apple Charger on the left. Look closely at
- Find my iPad - PDF version - Click here to get a pdf with detailed instructions
on using Find My iPad: Lost iPad
- 5 helpful Smartphone/Tablet Battery Charging Tips - Some smartphone battery-charging myths die-hard.
One of them is that allowing your phone to
- "Black" ipad apps - "Doing the Dance" - If you have an app that STAYS black [which means the iPad has made room for it, but has NOT
- Before turning in your busted iPad - things to do - If the iPad Guy has asked you to swap out your iPad, here is a list of things you need to do on
- Move Pix/Vids from Drive to iPad - Sometimes you need to move a picture or video that you've stashed in Drive, so you can use in on
- Want Garageband or Numbers on your iPad? - Before you send that email to The iPad Guy telling him that you'd like to have either of these
- iCloud - how to setup your account - The MUST list:
you MUST use your MDS email address
you MUST use your Moodle password [or if
- Save Your Data! [what to do after your iPad gets wiped] - Here's what you need to MAKE SURE gets setup after your iPad gets wiped - or better yet, BEFORE
- My iPad isn't working - no email, no printing, no web surfing - Problem: If your iPad all of a sudden stops working oncampus, it is most likely because your
- Notability Not Working - If Notability seems to start up when you click the icon, and then it disappears:
Step One - Clear
- Parents and Powerschool login - As of this year the way Parents access Powerschool has changed. In the past, parents logged into
- iPads: Clear Cache and Cookies in Web Browser - Here's how to clear the Cache and Cookies on your iPad web browsers.
- 2016 iPad Apps for Middle School - Here's the list of iPad apps that should be on your iPads. It will probably change as we go through
- Get files FROM Drive TO Notability - Normally you set Notability to automatically backup your docs to Drive. Sometimes you need to
- Getting ready for the First Official iPad Hospital Day - Tuesday 8/23/16 we will be holding the
First Official Upper School
iPad Hospital Day.
- Missing iPad Apps - If you still haven't seen your apps appear, here are some things to check.
Is your iPad
- iPad - the time is wrong! - Here's how to fix it if the time on your iPad is off by several hours:
Settings --> General
- iPad Apps List - August 2016 - Here is the starting iPad apps list on student iPads. This WILL change as we progress during the
- Take your Google Stuff with you - When you leave these hallowed grounds.....you CAN take your Google Docs with you.
- The Great 2016 iPad Turnin is here! - Details about turning in your iPad, including dates.
NOTE: Your iPad MUST be powered on to turn it
- Are my iPad files being backed up? - Here's how to make sure your Notability files and Pix/Videos are backed up.
- SENIORS: FREE MONEY! EVERYONE ELSE: PRIZES! - Dave Ramsey’s ,000 Financial Literacy Challenge is still open - until Monday, April 25!
- The Official Father Frank TongueTwister is here! - Franciscan Friar Father Frank frantically fileting fingerfish and frying fundraiser french fries
- Textilus and TurnItIn: Here's How - Here is how to get a document you've created in Textilus on your iPad to the TurnItIn
- Mac: Ads keep showing up in a web browser window - We've had 3 instances of Adware getting into Mac Laptops this month. [Adware is software that runs
- WMDS team - help wanted - We need students to help with WMDS. Jobs to be done include-but-aren't-limited-to:
- IOS 9 Battery - get more day out of your iPad! - Here are some tips to make your iPad battery last longer - and make it easier to keep track of your
- IPAD UNAVAILABLE - so I don't have to do my homework, right? -
"My iPad isn't working"
"Mr. Rule has my iPad so I don't have to do my homework"
"I tried to
- No connection to Wi-Fi - Access Denied - This is what the signin screen looks
- Rain/Noise generator - If you need some background noise when studying, here's a good
- Java applet problems - If you are on a webpage that is running a Java applet and the thing isn't running [or just won't
- Find my iPad - how to use - If you have lost or misplaced your iPad, here's how to use "Find my iPad" to figure out where it
- iPad: FindmyiPad, Privacy settings - There are several privacy settings that MUST be set on your school iPad - and several that are your
- Kindle App - how to use -
Here is some info from the web
on using the Kindle app.
- iPad not working? Can't get on the Web? - If your iPad
can't get on the web
can't access your eText
can't fetch email
- Aleks - iPads - won't load - If ALEKS won't load on your iPad [but it does on other's iPads], then you should clear out your web
- iPad Setup - 6th grade - Fall 2015 - Gestures
- iPad Setup - Fall 2015 - These instructions may not cover all possible things you'll see on your iPad. Check with a teacher
- How do I keep my Stuff when I'm leaving? - If you are a Senior who needs to keep access to your documents, or you are leaving for other
- iPad Turnin - quick notes - WHEN?
Check THE PREVIOUS POST. It has all the details.
Turn in your iPad to the
- Logan Brill - special offer on her new album - Music at the Mount - Logan Brill will be doing a special MDS only live concert this Friday during Flex BEFORE her
- The Great 2015 iPad Turnin - Before reading the below, go bone up on some
Quantum Physics* and Schenkerian
- Setting up the Meraki MDM app - Here are some vague directions for getting the Meraki MDM app setup. This is best done at school,
- Setting up your AppleID and Find my iPad - If you never setup Find my iPad or iCloud or your AppleID, here's a vague outline on how to
- Lunch Account - online - Click the logo to go to the
- Improve your Battery Life - This applies to iPads as well as iPhones. Taken from THIS ARTICLE over at ZDnet, here are a whole
- My iPad is busted. What do I do? - What to do if your iPad looks like
- Google Drive and Moodle - submitting an assignment errors - We've seen two issues popup when students are attempting to submit a file from Google Drive into
- AP Languages exam - using an MDS Mac laptop - What you'll be doing is recording your voice using a Mac Laptop and the software Audacity. Below
- Ban the Bottle Video Contest - Help out your fellow MDS students by watching, liking, and sharing their Tap Out Challenge
- VRP 7 iPad app - record/edit/export audio -
SFX = "Sound Effects"
LISTEN - REAL closely. Close your eyes to see if that's a sound you
- Can I print from my iPad? - Click for the bigger version
Anywhere on campus, you can call up the print menu [look for the
- Updating your iPad OS - Notes and Tips about updating your iPad:
You'll see an indication that there is a System Update in
- Sending a Keynote file to your teacher - "Why" explained below. First, "How":
You've created a Keynote presentation, and need to get it to
- iPad keyboards - Here are two reviews of ipad keyboards that have received a favorable writeup. Unfortunately they
- Submit Assignments into Moodle AWAY FROM YOUR iPAD! - Let's assume for a moment that you have tried to submit a Google Drive file into a Moodle
- Notability issue - Out of Storage - Think of your ipad as a filing cabinet with a limited amount of storage. If you fill up your filing
- Virtual Light Lab - make a movie - [4/14/15 update: added section about getting your video into iMovie on your iPad, at the
- iBook not downloading? - If your purchased iBook is not downloading, here are a couple of things to doublecheck:
- Moodle <--> Drive errors [Cannot submit an assignment] - If you are getting arcane technical errors when trying to submit an assignment
- Adding sound to iPad iMovie - Let's say you are working on an iMovie and want to add some music or audio that is NOT builtin.
- Saving time in IOS8 Mail - Techrepublic.com published an article on using Mail and iMessage in IOS8 that you might find
- After your iPad was wiped out.... - [January 2017 update]
Sometimes your iPad has to be wiped clean of all your data....here is a
- Moving Pictures around - If you have pictures/videos and need to move them around, here are a couple of processes.
- "There's not enough room to update to 8" -
Check other apps that might be taking up room.
Music - delete it all.
Photo Stream - turn it
- iMovie - tips for creating - Quick notes for how to create an excellent iMovie:
CONTENT IS THE WHOLE POINT
All the special
- IOS 8 - YES you can update! - After some [NON-thorough] testing, it looks like OS 8 will work OK on our setups here at
- Kindle App - setup - Students - you will be receiving [if you haven't already received it!] an email with your kindle
- iPad: Make your battery's charge last longer - Want to make your battery last longer in your iPad [or iphone, for that matter]?
Turn off as
- iPad Setup: August 2014 edition - Here are the concise instructions for getting the first part of your iPad setup.
- The Great iPad TurnIn Event: 2014 edition [Middle School] - We'll be taking your iPads up on MONDAY, MAY19 during the school day.
This is a LONG message -
- iPad Keyboards and Styluses - As we approach One-to-One status, several have asked the iPad guy about picking up keyboards and
- iPad Questions part 3: Apps, Control Center, Notification Center, Spotlight - Another video describing basic iPad stuff, such as
Switching between apps
Seeing all the apps
- iPad Questions part 2: Get your Apps Organized - How to move your apps around and get them organized. How to put them in folders on screen, plus a
- iPad questions, Part 1 - Answering many questions people have about basics on their iPad. This video [click here for the
- Photon Web Browser - Tips - Photon is an iPad web browser that allows you to access website that use Flash. The biggest thing
- Photon EDU Setup - Photon EDU is a flash-enabled web browser we'll be using - but before you can use it, there is some
- iPad notes - 12/18/13 - The announcement video that didn't quite playback well. Has a couple of tips and notes on taking
- ePub texts - how to read - You might run across an ePub book. How do you read it?
[NOTE: We haven't had a chance to test
- iPads - printing at home - YES, you can print from your ipad at home, but you must have a wireless network active at the
- iPad Backups- how and why - Scroll all the way down to fetch a PDF version of this info.
CLICK HERE for an update about
- Oh, no! My iPad is in Recovery mode! - Your iPad is in "Recovery Mode" when the screen looks like this:
Things NOT to do:
- 20 more Google Docs tips - The ORIGINAL ARTICLE - below are the "headlines".
Search Google Docs and Gmail
- Google Docs - 8 more tips - The article with the details can be found HERE.
Here's the summary:
Show all keyboard
- Google Docs - 100 TIps for Teachers and Students - This is from a Google Doc [naturally]. The links in each tip takes you to a web page with more
- iMovie 11 How-to - Click here for the PDF version
Collect all your parts in one place – on the desktop,
- iPad Camera Roll to your Teacher [Dept iPad Set] - Say you have a Department iPad set, the students have produced some media [pictures or videos] and
- iPad movies and pictures to Google Drive - A quick note on how to get movies and pictures from your iPad to your Google Drive.
1. Fire up
- MS iPad Setup - 201 - The 11-minute youtube video is at
1. From the "Hello"
- iPad setup - Middle School - CLICK HERE for the video version [You can ignore a lot of the stuff before the "Use you iPad"
- How to get the school contact list on your iPad - When sending an email, it's handy to have an email address popup as you're typing. That's normally
- Easy Photo Presenting - Photography Class - Photography Class - Easy Presentations
No editing or