These are the postings tagged as relating to iPads.
- Read books on your iPad [for fun, not for class] - If you'd like to "check out" ebooks on your iPad, there are TWO ways:
The MackinVia app already on your iPad. CLICK HERE for instructions on setting
- Leave Bluetooth ON! - Contrary to popular belief, turning bluetooth off does NOT extend your battery life.
Leaving it on means less hassle in the classroom for you [as
- iPad cables and Chargers --> BEWARE OF EL CHEAPO - While it is possible to find "bargains" on eBay or at your local convenience store - DON'T use them with your iPad [or any other Apple product, for
- iPad Cables and Chargers --> LEAVE THEM HOME! - We've seen a number of students walking around campus with their iPad cables and chargers.
LEAVE THEM AT HOME!
You are responsible for
- Your MDS Email - You can setup any internet enabled device to access your email, using any client software [Outlook, iPad Mail, or any of a plethora of open source
- If you have not turned in your iPad yet - We are on a Summer Schedule - the hours are 9:00 am to 2:00 pm Monday through Thursday.
Bring the iPad to the Front Office in Sheridan Hall -
- The Great 2018 iPad Turnin -
Here are the dates when you will turn in your iPads.
READ THIS ENTIRE ENTRY FOR ALL THE DETAILS!
You will turn your iPad
- The Great 2018 iPad Turnin: Seniors - SENIORS
Here are the dates when you will turn in your iPads.
READ THIS ENTIRE ENTRY FOR ALL THE DETAILS!
FIRST POSSIBLE DATE:
- iPads: Turn Two-Factor Authentication OFF - Some students have turned what is called Two-Factor Authentication on inside their iCloud account.
For most of your digital devices, this is a
- Don't FRY your iPad! - MDS tech has seen three iPads that have been electrically fried, resulting in a need for replacement [and a bill sent out].
According to tech
- My iPad can't.....[problems] - Some basic things to check when your iPad is misbehaving - weird problems like email not downloading, or not being able to download Moodle docs into
- Black iPad Apps - what to do - If you have apps on your ipad that are "black" or "grayed out" or just "won't work", here are some things to try:
First, make sure you have a
- Airserver - setup and using - To start Airserver on your Windows PC, click on the Caret icon on the bottom right area of your toolbar.
Then click on the Airserver icon:
- Notability: Drag-n-Drop in IOS 11 - Imagine being able to drag and drop pretty much anything from another app into a Notability Note.
With IOS 11, you can! [well, almost all the
- iPad out of room - Here's how to tell how much storage you have used on your iPad, and how to tell what is using it up:
To see how much storage you have already
- IOS 11 - quick overview - Much of the info below was taken from THIS ARTICLE.
How do I know if I can update to IOS 11?
Not everyone on campus can. The easiest way is to go
- IOS 11 is here...but wait! - IOS11 is here - but hang on a second before you update your school iPad.
Here are some things to think about:
Not everyone can update.
- "Your Cookies are Disabled" - trying to login to Drive or Moodle - If you get a red error message telling you that your cookies are disabled - and this prevents you from getting into Moodle, Drive, or setting up
- AppleID - Are you signed in? - If you are NOT signed in to your iCloud/AppleID account, then Find My iPad will NOT work. This might not seem like a big deal now, but will be when
- How do I get to Drive? - If you don't have your iPad with you, but need to get to Google Drive, here's how to get to it from your laptop/desktop/smartwatch/space
- iPad apps not installing? - Sometimes when app are installing while you are at school, then you go home, then come back to school the next day, the app install process
- iPad App Portal - New to the ipads this year is the App Portal, a place where students can download a selection of apps to their iPad.
No - not just any apps in the
- My iPad is in the wrong time zone! - If your iPad clock is a few hours off [it thinks it's still in California...], here's how to bring it to Eastern time:
- iPad Setup details - What buttons to push to get your iPad setup:
1) Get on the Network
• Find the Settings app
• Click Wi-Fi
• Select the network MDS-Student
- Keynote - TONS of new features - Keynote had a huge update posted after school got out for the summer. The article below has a full listing of the new features, which includes some
- The Great iPad Turnin: Middle School - READ THIS ENTIRE ENTRY FOR ALL THE DETAILS:
The last two days of school [Monday-Tuesday May 22,23]
THE ABSOLUTE LAST DAY
TO TURN IN YOUR
- The Great 2017 iPad Turnin: Underclassmen -
Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors:
Here are the dates when you will turn in your iPads.
READ THIS ENTIRE ENTRY FOR ALL THE
- The Great 2017 iPad Turnin: Info for Seniors -
Seniors, here are the dates when you will turn in your iPads. READ THIS ENTIRE ENTRY FOR ALL THE DETAILS:
FIRST POSSIBLE DATE: Wednesday,
- IOS 10 - make the home button friendly again - NOTE: this is only applicable to those who have Air2 iPads AND have setup your fingerprints to open up your iPad.
If you miss just resting your
- The Great 2017 iPad Turnin is Coming! - Seniors:
Starting April 26th.
Starting May 17.
Starting May 22.
THE TECH SITE
- The Great 2017 iPad Turnin: Fast Approaching - The Great
For upper school, the first possible day is the day your exam exemptions are announced.
For Seniors, that is Wednesday
- Dark Apps - Can't get my typing done - help! - Sometimes when MDS Tech pushes out app updates on the iPads it takes a while for everything to get updated.
The first things you need to do:
- Is your iPad data backed up? MAKE SURE before disaster strikes. - We've had several students lately who have lost data because they had not correctly setup their backups - and then their iPads were either damaged or
- DON'T BUY FAKE iPAD CHARGERS! - Genuine Apple Charger on the left. Look closely at the Counterfeit one on the right - several
- Find my iPad - PDF version - Click here to get a pdf with detailed instructions
on using Find My iPad: Lost iPad
- The "iPad Reboot Dance" -
Double-click the Home button [the one at the bottom of the screen]. You'll see all of your running apps as stacked windows.
Swipe upwards to
- 5 helpful Smartphone/Tablet Battery Charging Tips - Some smartphone battery-charging myths die-hard.
One of them is that allowing your phone to charge all night is a good idea. It isn’t
- iPads - what's taking up all my storage? - If you'd like a quick glance at what apps and data are eating up all of your storage, the easiest way is to fire up
Settings --> General -->
- "Black" ipad apps - "Doing the Dance" - If you have an app that STAYS black [which means the iPad has made room for it, but has NOT downloaded and installed it], then MDS Tech might ask you
- Before turning in your busted iPad - things to do - If the iPad Guy has asked you to swap out your iPad, here is a list of things you need to do on your OLD iPad before turning it in.
If you can't -
- Move Pix/Vids from Drive to iPad - Sometimes you need to move a picture or video that you've stashed in Drive, so you can use in on your iPad [in iMovie, for example].
- Want Garageband or Numbers on your iPad? - Before you send that email to The iPad Guy telling him that you'd like to have either of these apps, make certain you have enough space on your
- iCloud - how to setup your account - The MUST list:
you MUST use your MDS email address
you MUST use your Moodle password [or if your moodle password is missing a number, add
- Save Your Data! [what to do after your iPad gets wiped] - Here's what you need to MAKE SURE gets setup after your iPad gets wiped - or better yet, BEFORE something happens to your iPad.
The Short List
- My iPad isn't working - no email, no printing, no web surfing - Problem: If your iPad all of a sudden stops working oncampus, it is most likely because your subscription to the network has expired.
It MUST be
- Notability Not Working - If Notability seems to start up when you click the icon, and then it disappears:
Step One - Clear the Decks:
Swipe out of all your running apps
- iPads: Clear Cache and Cookies in Web Browser - Here's how to clear the Cache and Cookies on your iPad web browsers.
Settings –> Safari
Click the “Clear Cookies and Data”
- 2016 iPad Apps for Middle School - Here's the list of iPad apps that should be on your iPads. It will probably change as we go through the school year.
SOME grades will have
- Get files FROM Drive TO Notability - Normally you set Notability to automatically backup your docs to Drive. Sometimes you need to reverse that process - pull some material from Drive
- Getting ready for the First Official iPad Hospital Day - Tuesday 8/23/16 we will be holding the
First Official Upper School
iPad Hospital Day.
At a designated time [AND NOT BEFORE!] you can drop off
- Missing iPad Apps - If you still haven't seen your apps appear, here are some things to check.
Is your iPad up-to-date?
Settings --> General --> Software
- iPad - the time is wrong! - Here's how to fix it if the time on your iPad is off by several hours:
Settings --> General --> Date and Time
If "Set Automatically" is
- iPad Apps List - August 2016 - Here is the starting iPad apps list on student iPads. This WILL change as we progress during the semester, and it does NOT contain any class-specific
- The Great 2016 iPad Turnin is here! - Details about turning in your iPad, including dates.
NOTE: Your iPad MUST be powered on to turn it in. If it is dead we will NOT accept it.
- Are my iPad files being backed up? - Here's how to make sure your Notability files and Pix/Videos are backed up.
Open Google Drive. Look for for the folder
- Textilus and TurnItIn: Here's How - Here is how to get a document you've created in Textilus on your iPad to the TurnItIn account.
PREREQUISITE: You MUST be logged into your Drive
- IOS 9 Battery - get more day out of your iPad! - Here are some tips to make your iPad battery last longer - and make it easier to keep track of your battery.
THE BEST TIP IS
PLUG THE THING IN AT
- IPAD UNAVAILABLE - so I don't have to do my homework, right? -
"My iPad isn't working"
"Mr. Rule has my iPad so I don't have to do my homework"
"I tried to send my homework and it didn't work so I don't
- No connection to Wi-Fi - Access Denied -
If your subscription to the
- Find my iPad - how to use - If you have lost or misplaced your iPad, here's how to use "Find my iPad" to figure out where it is.
This only works if
you have correctly
- iPad: FindmyiPad, Privacy settings - There are several privacy settings that MUST be set on your school iPad - and several that are your call, but that the iPad guy recommends [unless
- Kindle App - how to use -
Here is some info from the web
on using the Kindle app.
To download titles your device must be connected to a wireless or
- iPad not working? Can't get on the Web? - If your iPad
can't get on the web
can't access your eText
can't fetch email
....or do anything else that required network access to the
- Aleks - iPads - won't load - If ALEKS won't load on your iPad [but it does on other's iPads], then you should clear out your web cache. Click any graphic below to see a larger
- iPad Setup - 6th grade - Fall 2015 - Gestures
2 finger Zoom
Once = home screen
Twice = All
- iPad Setup - Fall 2015 - These instructions may not cover all possible things you'll see on your iPad. Check with a teacher or Mr. Rule before clicking on something if you
- iPad Turnin - quick notes - WHEN?
Check THE PREVIOUS POST. It has all the details.
Turn in your iPad to the ARC. There's a table there.
- The Great 2015 iPad Turnin - Before reading the below, go bone up on some
Quantum Physics* and Schenkerian Analysis**.
FIRST, pick your group below.
- Setting up the Meraki MDM app - Here are some vague directions for getting the Meraki MDM app setup. This is best done at school, on campus - it's easier for some technical reasons
- Setting up your AppleID and Find my iPad - If you never setup Find my iPad or iCloud or your AppleID, here's a vague outline on how to proceed.
Check your Moodle password. Does it have a
- Improve your Battery Life - This applies to iPads as well as iPhones. Taken from THIS ARTICLE over at ZDnet, here are a whole slew of ways to stretch your iPad battery. At the
- My iPad is busted. What do I do? -
If your iPad is PHYSICALLY damaged
- VRP 7 iPad app - record/edit/export audio -
SFX = "Sound Effects"
LISTEN - REAL closely. Close your eyes to see if that's a sound you can use.
Close vs Far - Putting mic close to the
- Can I print from my iPad? - Click for the bigger version
Anywhere on campus, you can call up the print menu [look for the "export" icon - a rectangle with an arrow coming OUT
- Updating your iPad OS - Notes and Tips about updating your iPad:
You'll see an indication that there is a System Update in the Settings App.
Go to Settings -->
- Sending a Keynote file to your teacher - "Why" explained below. First, "How":
You've created a Keynote presentation, and need to get it to your teacher in a way that can be viewed on their
- iPad keyboards - Here are two reviews of ipad keyboards that have received a favorable writeup. Unfortunately they are on the expensive side - unless you can find one
- Submit Assignments into Moodle AWAY FROM YOUR iPAD! - Let's assume for a moment that you have tried to submit a Google Drive file into a Moodle assignment using your iPad - and it doesn't work.
- Notability issue - Out of Storage - Think of your ipad as a filing cabinet with a limited amount of storage. If you fill up your filing cabinet, then nothing more can be stashed there
- iBook not downloading? - If your purchased iBook is not downloading, here are a couple of things to doublecheck:
Make sure you are indeed on the network. Try going to an
- Moodle <--> Drive errors [Cannot submit an assignment] - If you are getting arcane technical errors when trying to submit an assignment
using your iPad
from Google Drive
- Adding sound to iPad iMovie - Let's say you are working on an iMovie and want to add some music or audio that is NOT builtin. Here are some options:
Setup your personal iTunes
- Saving time in IOS8 Mail - Techrepublic.com published an article on using Mail and iMessage in IOS8 that you might find useful.
CLICK HERE to read it
THe tips covered
- After your iPad was wiped out.... - [January 2017 update]
Sometimes your iPad has to be wiped clean of all your data....here is a list of everything you need to make sure everything
- "There's not enough room to update to 8" -
Check other apps that might be taking up room.
Music - delete it all.
Photo Stream - turn it off. That takes up room.
Google apps - Docs,
- iMovie - tips for creating - Quick notes for how to create an excellent iMovie:
CONTENT IS THE WHOLE POINT
All the special effects and jazzy stuff on the planet
can't make up
- IOS 8 - YES you can update! - After some [NON-thorough] testing, it looks like OS 8 will work OK on our setups here at MDS.
Here are the "gotchas":
You MUST have 5.9 gigs
- Kindle App - setup - Students - you will be receiving [if you haven't already received it!] an email with your kindle account information.
Here is how to setup
- iPad: Make your battery's charge last longer - Want to make your battery last longer in your iPad [or iphone, for that matter]?
Turn off as many Notifications as you can
- iPad Setup: August 2014 edition - Here are the concise instructions for getting the first part of your iPad setup.
Click here -->iPad handout 2014
if you'd like the PDF version
- The Great iPad TurnIn Event: 2014 edition [Middle School] - We'll be taking your iPads up on MONDAY, MAY19 during the school day.
This is a LONG message - please read ALL of it!
- iPad Keyboards and Styluses - As we approach One-to-One status, several have asked the iPad guy about picking up keyboards and styluses for use with their iPads next
- iPad Questions part 3: Apps, Control Center, Notification Center, Spotlight - Another video describing basic iPad stuff, such as
Switching between apps
Seeing all the apps that are currently active
- iPad Questions part 2: Get your Apps Organized - How to move your apps around and get them organized. How to put them in folders on screen, plus a few other tips.
- iPad questions, Part 1 - Answering many questions people have about basics on their iPad. This video [click here for the direct youtube link] covers:
- Photon Web Browser - Tips - Photon is an iPad web browser that allows you to access website that use Flash. The biggest thing to remember is that anything Flash will NOT run
- Photon EDU Setup - Photon EDU is a flash-enabled web browser we'll be using - but before you can use it, there is some setup you have to do.
1. Start up Photon
- iPad notes - 12/18/13 - The announcement video that didn't quite playback well. Has a couple of tips and notes on taking care of your iPad.
CLICK HERE to watch on youtube
- ePub texts - how to read - You might run across an ePub book. How do you read it?
[NOTE: We haven't had a chance to test out these on our machines, so your mileage may vary.
- iPads - printing at home - YES, you can print from your ipad at home, but you must have a wireless network active at the house, and your ipad must be connected to it.
- iPad Backups- how and why - Scroll all the way down to fetch a PDF version of this info.
CLICK HERE for an update about Notability.
At the risk of stating the obvious, you
- Oh, no! My iPad is in Recovery mode! - Your iPad is in "Recovery Mode" when the screen looks like this:
Things NOT to do:
Do NOT attach it to iTunes
Do NOT try to restore it
- iPad Camera Roll to your Teacher [Dept iPad Set] - Say you have a Department iPad set, the students have produced some media [pictures or videos] and you need to fetch a copy. Here's how:
- iPad movies and pictures to Google Drive - A quick note on how to get movies and pictures from your iPad to your Google Drive.
1. Fire up Google Drive
2. Click the UPLOAD icon [a plus
- MS iPad Setup - 201 - The 11-minute youtube video is at
1. From the "Hello" screen
Swipe to start
YES - enable Location
- iPad setup - Middle School - CLICK HERE for the video version [You can ignore a lot of the stuff before the "Use you iPad" part.]
HERE is the Google Doc version
- How to get the school contact list on your iPad - When sending an email, it's handy to have an email address popup as you're typing. That's normally what happens when you have someone in your
- Easy Photo Presenting - Photography Class - Photography Class - Easy Presentations
No editing or control over order
Photoshop - export to