Posts tagged for Faculty and Staff. CLICK HERE for the eText site [uses Moodle login]
- The value of a hacked email account -
Many people use the same password at difference sites - including for their email. So if your account info was among those hacked in the many online
- Staying Safe online -
There is an online security researcher named Krebs that published 3 basic rules for online safety. These still make a lot of sense:
If you didn't
- Why would someone hack my old PC? -
There is potentially a lot of useful / sellable info on that old PC that you haven't used in a while.
What your old hacked PC can be used for by
- IOS 12 and missing iBooks - If you have upgraded your iPad to IOS 12, and now your iBooks are missing, try these fixes [taken from a variety of locations across the web}:
- Read books on your iPad [for fun, not for class] - If you'd like to "check out" ebooks on your iPad, there are TWO ways:
The MackinVia app already on your iPad. CLICK HERE for instructions on setting
- iPad cables and Chargers --> BEWARE OF EL CHEAPO - While it is possible to find "bargains" on eBay or at your local convenience store - DON'T use them with your iPad [or any other Apple product, for
- iPad Handout Instructions - Click to access the Google Slide
- WMDS Plan A and Plan B - Plan A
- Don't FRY your iPad! - MDS tech has seen three iPads that have been electrically fried, resulting in a need for replacement [and a bill sent out].
According to tech
- 3D printing and scanning - There is a 3D printer AND a 3D scanner in the ARC. All of the Macs are equipped with software to work with graphics, which includes 3d printing
- My iPad can't.....[problems] - Some basic things to check when your iPad is misbehaving - weird problems like email not downloading, or not being able to download Moodle docs into
- Spectre, Meltdown, Vulnerabilities in the news -
You may have seen a lot of scary news stories about some vulnerabilities recently disclosed that affect just about every computing device
- Airserver - setup and using - To start Airserver on your Windows PC, click on the Caret icon on the bottom right area of your toolbar.
Then click on the Airserver icon:
- Credit, Security Breaches, and Freezes - Protect Yourself! - While this is not normal subject matter for the MDS Tech site, this IS a part of the digital life we are living that we all have to deal
- AppleID - Are you signed in? - If you are NOT signed in to your iCloud/AppleID account, then Find My iPad will NOT work. This might not seem like a big deal now, but will be when
- iPad App Portal - New to the ipads this year is the App Portal, a place where students can download a selection of apps to their iPad.
No - not just any apps in the
- My iPad is in the wrong time zone! - If your iPad clock is a few hours off [it thinks it's still in California...], here's how to bring it to Eastern time:
- iTunes U - https://www.apple.com/education/itunes-u/
For faculty, this might be an interesting addition to your
- IOS 10 - make the home button friendly again - NOTE: this is only applicable to those who have Air2 iPads AND have setup your fingerprints to open up your iPad.
If you miss just resting your
- Dark Apps - Can't get my typing done - help! - Sometimes when MDS Tech pushes out app updates on the iPads it takes a while for everything to get updated.
The first things you need to do:
- Is your iPad data backed up? MAKE SURE before disaster strikes. - We've had several students lately who have lost data because they had not correctly setup their backups - and then their iPads were either damaged or
- Find my iPad - PDF version - Click here to get a pdf with detailed instructions
on using Find My iPad: Lost iPad
- 5 helpful Smartphone/Tablet Battery Charging Tips - Some smartphone battery-charging myths die-hard.
One of them is that allowing your phone to charge all night is a good idea. It isn’t
- Replacing the Laminator film - This is one of those "we need to stash the link to this video somewhere so we can find it later"
- Before turning in your busted iPad - things to do - If the iPad Guy has asked you to swap out your iPad, here is a list of things you need to do on your OLD iPad before turning it in.
If you can't -
- Move Pix/Vids from Drive to iPad - Sometimes you need to move a picture or video that you've stashed in Drive, so you can use in on your iPad [in iMovie, for example].
- iCloud - how to setup your account - The MUST list:
you MUST use your MDS email address
you MUST use your Moodle password [or if your moodle password is missing a number, add
- My iPad isn't working - no email, no printing, no web surfing - Problem: If your iPad all of a sudden stops working oncampus, it is most likely because your subscription to the network has expired.
It MUST be
- iPads: Clear Cache and Cookies in Web Browser - Here's how to clear the Cache and Cookies on your iPad web browsers.
Settings –> Safari
Click the “Clear Cookies and Data”
- Get files FROM Drive TO Notability - Normally you set Notability to automatically backup your docs to Drive. Sometimes you need to reverse that process - pull some material from Drive
- iPad - the time is wrong! - Here's how to fix it if the time on your iPad is off by several hours:
Settings --> General --> Date and Time
If "Set Automatically" is
- Take your Google Stuff with you - When you leave these hallowed grounds.....you CAN take your Google Docs with you.
Login to your Drive or email
- Are my iPad files being backed up? - Here's how to make sure your Notability files and Pix/Videos are backed up.
Open Google Drive. Look for for the folder
- Mac: Ads keep showing up in a web browser window - We've had 3 instances of Adware getting into Mac Laptops this month. [Adware is software that runs in teh background that pops up an overwhleming
- Keynote: How to present student keynotes in classroom - Some ideas and possibilities for showing student created Keynote in class:
Use dongle to connect iPad to projector.
- Explore Google Hangouts - Here is a quick bulletpoint list of things to know about Google Hangouts. Scroll way down for more detailed instructions.
I suggest using Chrome
- IOS 9 Battery - get more day out of your iPad! - Here are some tips to make your iPad battery last longer - and make it easier to keep track of your battery.
THE BEST TIP IS
PLUG THE THING IN AT
- No connection to Wi-Fi - Access Denied -
If your subscription to the
- Rain/Noise generator - If you need some background noise when studying, here's a good
- Find my iPad - how to use - If you have lost or misplaced your iPad, here's how to use "Find my iPad" to figure out where it is.
This only works if
you have correctly
- iPad not working? Can't get on the Web? - If your iPad
can't get on the web
can't access your eText
can't fetch email
....or do anything else that required network access to the
- Aleks - iPads - won't load - If ALEKS won't load on your iPad [but it does on other's iPads], then you should clear out your web cache. Click any graphic below to see a larger
- WMDS - Volume issues - There are at least 3 and maybe 4 different places to adjust the volume when viewing WMDS on the computer or ipad.
1. The speakers you are
- 2015 iPad App Lists - Scroll down for the Middle school lists. First the Apps that are being used somewhere for some grade or class, then others that are already "in
- Logan Brill - special offer on her new album - Music at the Mount - Logan Brill will be doing a special MDS only live concert this Friday during Flex BEFORE her performance Friday night for the first "Music at the
- Setting up the Meraki MDM app - Here are some vague directions for getting the Meraki MDM app setup. This is best done at school, on campus - it's easier for some technical reasons
- Improve your Battery Life - This applies to iPads as well as iPhones. Taken from THIS ARTICLE over at ZDnet, here are a whole slew of ways to stretch your iPad battery. At the
- Ban the Bottle Video Contest - Help out your fellow MDS students by watching, liking, and sharing their Tap Out Challenge video.
If you are
- Can I print from my iPad? - Click for the bigger version
Anywhere on campus, you can call up the print menu [look for the "export" icon - a rectangle with an arrow coming OUT
- iPad keyboards - Here are two reviews of ipad keyboards that have received a favorable writeup. Unfortunately they are on the expensive side - unless you can find one
- Notability issue - Out of Storage - Think of your ipad as a filing cabinet with a limited amount of storage. If you fill up your filing cabinet, then nothing more can be stashed there
- iBook not downloading? - If your purchased iBook is not downloading, here are a couple of things to doublecheck:
Make sure you are indeed on the network. Try going to an
- Moodle <--> Drive errors [Cannot submit an assignment] - If you are getting arcane technical errors when trying to submit an assignment
using your iPad
from Google Drive
- Adding sound to iPad iMovie - Let's say you are working on an iMovie and want to add some music or audio that is NOT builtin. Here are some options:
Setup your personal iTunes
- Saving time in IOS8 Mail - Techrepublic.com published an article on using Mail and iMessage in IOS8 that you might find useful.
CLICK HERE to read it
THe tips covered
- "There's not enough room to update to 8" -
Check other apps that might be taking up room.
Music - delete it all.
Photo Stream - turn it off. That takes up room.
Google apps - Docs,
- IOS 8 - YES you can update! - After some [NON-thorough] testing, it looks like OS 8 will work OK on our setups here at MDS.
Here are the "gotchas":
You MUST have 5.9 gigs
- HUDL video playback error - If you are having trouble uploading video to HUDL from your laptop. The app would upload the file and then give an error message. Below is the
- Importing ExamView questions into Moodle - CLICK HERE
if you'd like the PDF file that is
complete with pretty screenshots.
Download Moodle XML Builder
It is free
- 8th Grade iPad App List: 2014 -
- 7th Grade iPad App List: 2014 -
- 6th Grade iPad App List: 2015 -
- 6th grade iPad setup: Part Deux - AppleID setup, part one
Settings –> iCloud
Click the button to create a new account
You’ll have a multi-step dance to waltz through. Use
- 12 grade iPad App List  -
- 11th grade iPad app list  -
- 10th grade iPad App List  -
- 9th grade iPad App list  -
- iPad: Make your battery's charge last longer - Want to make your battery last longer in your iPad [or iphone, for that matter]?
Turn off as many Notifications as you can
- TENTATIVE Middle School App list - Here's the TENTATIVE app list for the middle school ipads. This post will be deleted once everything is settled.
Below you have 4 tables. First
- iPad Keyboards and Styluses - As we approach One-to-One status, several have asked the iPad guy about picking up keyboards and styluses for use with their iPads next
- Notability Training - All of them - Here are the links to the 5 Notability posts. Each has a synopsis of what the video covers, link to the youtube video, and the youtube video embedded
- Notability, part 5 - Click for Video
Recording Audio into a note.
AFTER this was recorded they updated
- Notability, part 3 - Click for Video
Adding Material to Notes
1. Click on title to change it
2. TWO FINGER
- Notability, part 2 - Click for video
When in the Library:
Click and Hold on a note, in the middle of the line
- Notability, part 1 - Click for Video
Google Drive, email setup on your
- Notability, part 4 - Click for Video
Reviewing the Plus [Media] tool, and importing/exporting
The Media tool
- Search better, faster - lesson plans & presentations - there are several videos and such that will help you to spend less time looking for stuff online.
....or click the links below to view the
- ePub texts - how to read - You might run across an ePub book. How do you read it?
[NOTE: We haven't had a chance to test out these on our machines, so your mileage may vary.
- Kahoot - surveys and such - Kahoot! is an online-based quiz/survey thing [a la Socrative, Hands Up, etc], but this one forces the participants to be focused on the front of the
- iPads - printing at home - YES, you can print from your ipad at home, but you must have a wireless network active at the house, and your ipad must be connected to it.
- iPad Backups- how and why - Scroll all the way down to fetch a PDF version of this info.
CLICK HERE for an update about Notability.
At the risk of stating the obvious, you
- 20 more Google Docs tips - The ORIGINAL ARTICLE - below are the "headlines".
Search Google Docs and Gmail together
Search Google Docs more effectively
- Google Docs - 8 more tips - The article with the details can be found HERE.
Here's the summary:
Show all keyboard shortcuts:
On Mac, press ⌘ + /
- Email Groups in Gmail - Here's the quick version:
Top left corner, where it says "MAIL" with the down arrow.
Click the arrow, select CONTACTS.
New Group [left side].
- Google Docs - 100 TIps for Teachers and Students - This is from a Google Doc [naturally]. The links in each tip takes you to a web page with more info.
100 Great Google Docs Tips for
- iMovie 11 How-to - Click here for the PDF version
Collect all your parts in one place – on the desktop, your documents folder, wherever – I suggest
- When you have a guest on campus and they need wireless access - The details will vary depending on what device you use, but here is the overview:
Set your device to join the network MDS-public
In the Login
- iPad Camera Roll to your Teacher [Dept iPad Set] - Say you have a Department iPad set, the students have produced some media [pictures or videos] and you need to fetch a copy. Here's how:
- iPad movies and pictures to Google Drive - A quick note on how to get movies and pictures from your iPad to your Google Drive.
1. Fire up Google Drive
2. Click the UPLOAD icon [a plus
- Powerschool issues on the iPads - Obviously, if you don't USE powerschool on the iPad, you can safely ignore this entry!
updated 11/8/13 - see below
If you are using the
- PowerTeacher App settings - Fire up the App PowerTeacher
Under Global Settings:
Server Address: sis.mountdesales.net
Port number: 443
SSl Enabled: ON
You do NOT
- How to get the school contact list on your iPad - When sending an email, it's handy to have an email address popup as you're typing. That's normally what happens when you have someone in your
- Easy Photo Presenting - Photography Class - Photography Class - Easy Presentations
No editing or control over order
Photoshop - export to
- Science iPads App List - A list of apps on the two Science Dept. iPad sets. #1 is in McMahon's room, #2 in Freeman's. The descriptions are deliberately concise - click the
- 8th Grade set - apps list - Here is a list of the apps that are on the 8th grade set, along with a short description and a link to the full description of what the app does.