[January 2017 update]
Sometimes your iPad has to be wiped clean of all your data….here is a list of everything you need to make sure everything gets setup and recovered.
DO NOT SET ANYTHING UP UNTIL YOU HAVE READ THE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS BELOW!
- Google Drive
- Other Accounts
- Kindle, iBooks, eTexts [may not apply to everyone]
- Settings –> iCloud
- do NOT create a new AppleID – just sign in to the existing one.
- Fire up the app and login.
- Settings –> Mail/Contacts/Calendars
- Add Account >
- Select GMAIL account
- Type in your info.
- Email Address is your FULL email address, including the mountdesales.net part
- For Description don’t leave it at the default. I suggest MDS.
- Click NEXT
- If you get 4 checkmarks, go to the next step.
- If there’s a problem, doublecheck your typing. It is very common to misspell mountdesales.net, to add an extra space at the beginning or end, or to mistype your password.
This is a bit tricky, so pay attention!
- Fire up Notability. All of your notes are gone – but you have a backup on Drive, right?
- Setup your Dividers and Subjects [also known as the lines and folders] in Notability. Remember you should have a “Divider” for each class, and several “Subject” folders inside each divider. The exact list will change depending on the class.
- CAN’T REMEMBER WHAT FOLDERS TO SETUP?
• Fire up the Drive app.
• Navigate to the folder “Notability”
• You should see a bunch of folders there – each folder in Drive = a folder in Notability…. but the Dividers don’t exist in Drive, so I hope your folder titles give you a clue to what’s inside.
• Write down what folders you’ll need, and inside which Divider/Class
- Get to the main screen in Notability [the Library].
- Setup the connection between Drive and Notability by clicking on the gear icon [bottom left] –>Manage Accounts, and click the LOGIN button next to Google Drive. DON’T SETUP AutoBackup yet!
- Exit out of Settings.
- You’ll have to download your backups one folder at a time
- In Notability, select a folder to start and click it.
- Then click the IMPORT button [looks like a rectangle with an arrow point INTO it].
- Click Google Drive
- Click the folder you want to import. You should see a list of docs inside.
- At the top right is a link that says “Import foldername“. Click it.
- All the documents in that Drive folder should import into the Notability folder you selected.
- NEXT, select a different notability folder, then download the documents from Drive…. keep downloading until you get all of them you need.
- NOW, setup autobackup.
- Get to the Library/opening screen,
- click the Gear icon on bottom left,
- click Auto-Backup,
- then Google Drive.
You’ll also have to setup any other app accounts [eTexts, kindle, ibooks, etc]
iBooks [optional for most students]
- Some students will want to setup an account for iBooks, for a variety of reasons. MOST of the time you’ll want to use your PERSONAL AppleID [not your school one].
- Settings –> iTunes & App Store
- If you already have a personal AppleID, then use it.
- If you don’t, you COULD use your school one, but remember that any material connected to that AppleID will disappear once you leave this fine institution.
•…. or you could create a new AppleID using your personal email address.